The Squadron soon settled down to routine training and in June went on detachment to Royal Rhodesian Air Force Station Thornhill for an armament practice camp of intensive rocketing and air to ground firing. This terminated in a most successful tour of the Rhodesias and Nyasaland before returning to Eastleigh. During the following months the Squadron participated in various exercises in co-operation with the Army and the aerobatics team perfected its performance which was ably demonstrated in August before the Sultan of Zanzibar on the celebration of his 80th birthday. The team at this time consisted of Squadron Leader R. Ramirez, Flight Lieutenants G.E. Ord, S.W.R.A. Key and P.R.E. McLeland and Flying Officer T.E. Riddihough.
On 1st February 1959 Squadron Leader R. Ramirez reformed 142 Squadron, an ex-Mosquito Squadron which had disbanded in 1945, and commenced familiarisation and training on the De Havilland Venom. The Squadron had only just settled down at Eastleigh however when 208 Squadron’s party arrived on 30th March for the official handing over ceremony of the Standard and number plate. Once again therefore 142 Squadron ceased to exist and 208 continued its unbroken record of service in the Middle East. By a strange coincidence there was a remarkable similarity between the two Squadron Crests, 208 having a Sphinx head-on and 142 having a winged Sphinx sideways-on.